An extension to the Electronic Visit Verification (EVV) mandate for some states has reduced pressure on personal care and home healthcare providers who serve Medicaid patients, but there are solid reasons for these organizations to go ahead with their EVV plans regardless of the extension.
The EVV mandate for the Medicaid personal care service organizations was scheduled to take effect at the start of this year, but for at least half the states that deadline has been moved to the beginning of 2021. It may be tempting to put off the implementation of your specific EVV solution, but doing will delay the business benefits that a Medicaid personal care service provider can gain by moving ahead now.
Here are four clear benefits to EVV that a Medicaid personal care service agencies and home healthcare providers can start to enjoy right away, rather than a year from now:
- Shorter Claims Turnaround: Your current processes are almost surely causing delays in your claims turnaround time. One of the biggest obstacles is in rejected claims due to inaccurate or illegible forms. Resubmitting them delays a claims payment for at least two weeks. With EVV’s electronic submission, accuracy is guaranteed and the forms will never be unreadable.
- Faster Payroll Processing: The payroll process is taking anywhere from eight to 20 hours longer because aides and staff have to submit timesheets by fax, email or in-person drop-off. And if they make mistakes, send unclear documents, or lose the timesheets, it means a delay. With an EVV system all of these submissions are done electronically, guaranteeing accuracy. The system also provides proof that the caregivers were actually at the assigned location, eliminating the need for a spot-check or paper form. Results: payroll reports can be pulled in minutes, rather than hours or days.
- Reduced Costs: A streamlined electronic process extended to manage your entire healthcare staff will cut costs across the board. That includes the time involved in collecting and processing payroll and claims, spending on paper and ink, the time spent doing field spot-checks, as well as the time that aides spend driving or busing in, along with the associated highway tolls, parking, and fuel costs. Also, eliminating all that paper will burnish your “green” credentials as a company. That’s increasingly important these days.
- Improved time management: While the mandate is directed at those taking care of Medicaid patients, when you implement across your entire staff it streamlines your processes and creates an automated workflow. This further reduces the time previously spent on collecting and manually entering data. It also yields savings when it comes to submitting claims to private managed care organizations, as well as in storage costs, time spent filing, office supplies, and other areas.
Those Medicaid personal care service agencies and home healthcare providers that have already embraced EVV solutions are reaping the benefits of improved management efficiency, increased productivity, and better information sharing throughout their operations.
Gaining business advantages
The greatest business advantages come when home healthcare providers move beyond basic solutions to comprehensive ones. The more sophisticated and capable EVV solutions available today provide real-time location monitoring during working hours for nurses, emergency vehicles, and other equipment. They save time by allowing home healthcare workers to register their timeclock punches from their mobile devices. They also ensure data security.
As EVV-using agencies have seen their paperwork burden decline and the related expenses go down, they have also improved their ability to efficiently schedule staff and improve patient visit response times. They also communicate much more effortlessly among all their team members and easily share care and service plans, patient care history, and other important information.
When it comes to evaluating these more comprehensive and highly scalable solutions, it’s important to remember that there are two key elements to consider.
- First is workforce management system that gets resources where they need to be and when, offering valuable tools such as scheduling, forecasting, skills management, timekeeping, attendance, and communication.
The workforce management system automatically captures all relevant information regarding times, dates, and locations of visits and makes that data available in real time to management via a web portal. The system allows each individual team member’s location to be monitored, optimizes schedules, and arranges for appointments to be monitored for added safety when desired.
- The second element is mobile forms With this, all the desired information and data can be captured electronically, transmitted instantly, and made available to management in near real time. The use of mobile forms enhances the accuracy of records while simultaneously reducing the time that team members spend filling out forms. It enhances productivity, eliminates paper, and makes mobile forms easily shareable among groups and makes it simple to append them with photos whenever needed.
EVV solutions are the key to an overall digital transformation for home healthcare providers. The benefits are clear and compelling and can be leveraged right now, with no need to wait another year.